Sunday, October 23, 2011

Day 5 – Your favorite comfort food, and why?

My favorite comfort food....



My Grandma's chili...
I have the recipe (I can't share it, its secret) but when I make it, it just doesn't have the love that it does when she does. Its the spicy kind of chili, the husband's grandma's chili is a sweeter one... But my grandma's is the kind of chili that is good the first time with some Velveeta melted on it, thrown in the fridge and reheated to put on some hot dogs with shredded cheddar, and then the remaining leftovers frozen and thawed a week later.

When I make it, it feeds an army. We have a very small battalion in our home. It makes the house smell amazing but then what to do with the extras. Its not the kind of chili that easily reheats. Instead it sits in the fridge for a few days with the intention of "taking it for lunch" but then forgetting. Its just not the same. Perhaps it is the fellowship, the camaraderie, of my family all being together. The stories and pranks on one another.

All I know is my chili is not the same as Grandma's.

No comments:

Post a Comment