Saturday, October 22, 2011

Day 4 – Your views on religion

Religion is a tough thing to write about.

Do I believe in God? Yes. Am I baptized and/or confirmed? Yes, both. Was I married in a church? Yes. Do I have a Bible application on my phone, in case I need to reference it? Yes. Do I pray? Yes. Do I work for a Christian company? Yes. (However, I do not share ALL the views they have there.) Do I sin? Yes, who doesn't?



Now, do I believe all the things that people say is in the bible? No. Have I read the entire Bible? No, I get lost about halfway through the Genesis genealogy of Adam and Eve. I've even tried taking notes. Do I pray regularly, during good times and bad? No, not usually. Do I attend church regularly? No, my husband is Lutheran and I am Methodist and while they are both Protestant origin, there are differences (I'm told, and I've witnessed).

What I believe: I believe it is important to have a relationship with God. I do not need to persuade you to "see the light" because if you can't look at your blessings and feel that "light" then you need more help than I can provide. I feel that I do not need to go to a building once a week to listen to a middle man talk about the Bible stories when I can talk to God myself. I do not believe in thinking higher of myself than others who are not believers because in the end we are all equal. I believe that God has used my experiences to strengthen and shape me into the person I am today. I do have days when I think I can handle it no more. I do tend to talk to God when I need guidance, support, or help more than when I just want to say thanks. However, I was told God is omniscient and sees-all... so why should I have to update him about what is going on in my life? He can see what I've been up to, and how I've been feeling, or what I've been thinking.

So yes, religion is a tricky subject for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment