Monday, July 25, 2011

Strange, isn't it?

When I first started blogging, I couldn't get enough of it. Blogging daily, I think I even did two posts in one day once. But, now, its just a same thing every day.... I mean we have growing anticipation for so many things... Particularly the wedding. But we're not going to discuss that now. There are many reasons for blogging. Blogging can be to keep family members far away up-to-date on the local happenings in your life. Or it can be about frugal/smarter living. For some, its about expressing themselves, sometimes rather pessimistically. But some aren't about that at all... Blogging, for me is about teaching you, about inspiring you, about making you want something more than anything. Its like all the Miss America candidates say: "World Peace".... I want WORLD WIDE Peace. Do You? Today, I want to touch on the subject of....

Cyberbullying. I know the world has been shoving it in your face. Particularly if you happen to watch abc Family at all. Yes, I DVR'd that made-for-tv movie, Cyberbully. It was an obvious made-for-tv, a lot of awkward lighting and not the smoothest of transitions, but the message was there. I ignored all these imperfections to see the message, and I hope that when abc Family reruns it 17 times over that you'll watch it. At least once. Now, it may seem a little "dramatic" but if you are the one being bullied its not dramatic. Imagine if you're life was turned upside down by someone hacking into your account and spreading lies. While cyberbullying is notorious for young adults, it can also happen to adults. DID YOU KNOW?!  Only 6 out of the 50 states have bullying laws that INCLUDE a cyber-bullying clause?1

Its times like this that I'm glad the internet was just starting to catch on when I was in high school. We didn't have Facebook accounts until probably my senior year. (wow, aging myself here) We had Myspace but all anyone really did on there was play games. And us farm kids barely had internet fast enough to load text only emails. So we didn't do that. Cyber-bullying in by far worse in this day and age than any bullying I've ever witnessed. These generations live on the 'net. They can't go a day, or even an hour without checking their Facebook. Heck, even as I'm writing this, my Facebook is hanging out open. Its hard to see myself ever having to be in the bullied seat, but even more difficult to be in the bully seat. Are you in one of those seats? Or are you in the "innocent" bystander seat? Perhaps you are on a bench that says "All of the above"?

If you are (or 'someone you know' is) being cyberbullied there are things you can do.2
  • Tell a trusted adult about the bullying, and keep telling until the adult takes action. 
  • Don’t open or read messages by known cyber bullies. Talk to your friends before befriending known cyber bullies. Don't expose yourself to the bullying if it can be avoided! 
  • Tell your school if it is school related. Schools have a bullying solution in place. When schools try and get involved by disciplining the student for cyberbullying actions that took place off-campus and outside of school hours, they are often sued for exceeding their authority and violating the student's free speech right.3
  • Don’t immediately erase the messages—they may be needed to take action. Try printing first. Be sure all important information is on there: screen names, website, conversation and timestamps
  • Protect yourself—never agree to meet with the person or with anyone you meet online. Never reveal personal information. If you post it, someone can find it out.
  • If bullied through chat or instant messaging, the “bully” can often be blocked. You can also block people on Facebook, through email and Myspace.
  • If you are threatened with harm, inform the local police. Take printed copies with you when informing local police. Be wary that some local law enforcement can not do anything for internet bullying.
But the Biggest thing you can do:
  • TAKE A STAND!4 "Walk" away. Refuse to participate. And "Report" them. Its unfair to spread lies about people. Or even spread personal information. Advocate against bulliers. Be "better than them" and refuse to retort. Some times trying to give equally nasty retorts does more harm than good.
    If its about you,block the sender to prevent seeing any other comments. "Report" them to the site. Do what you can to protect others from feeling as you do. REMEMBER: Replying to them just gives them more fuel for their fiery need to hurt you.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete