Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Love what you do, and it will never be work

When I was in high school, I learned sports weren't my cup of tea. No hand-eye coordination in this department. I like playing sports, but definitely not in any sort of team. In fact, I always hated team-orientated stuff, all the way back to middle (maybe around elementary). Its not because I was doing all the work. Quite the opposite. I knew that because it was a group grade, I didn't have to do anything. If the other members of my groups wanted a good grade, they would do all the work. Unfortunately that all went down the drain when seventh grade came around and I started making best friends that were very similar in nature to myself. And as it would just so happen, in many of my classes. So we'd get group projects, I'd be in a group with my friends. Well, guess what? Somebody had to do the work.... Doesn't mean we did the work right away. Ha. No, not at all.


So I found a subject that there is virtually NO group projects. Art. You know why there is no group projects in Art? Because every artists style is different. There's no set style of art. Monet is no Manet, Van Gogh is no Michelangelo, Georgia O'Keeffe is no Andy Warhol. So, in my senior year alone, I took seven (yes 7!) art classes. I loved them all, and I loved my teacher. I took them and found my love, graphic design. At the end of high school, I decided I would try out some ju-co (junior college). Notice, I said at the end of high school. That means in May I decided to give it a go, most financial aid forms are filled out in January. So when school started in August, I had to pay for my books all out of my (dad's) pocket and signed up for the school's tuition payment plan. However, this ju-co, offered graphic design... so I went with it. I met some AMAZING people, we had lots of good times and that fall I met the man of my dreams. No he wasn't in any of my college classes, but we started dating the fall after high school.

After finishing college, I continued waiting for the perfect job. I wasn't exactly wanting to spend more time on the road driving to get to work than actually at work. I went to a few interviews and it didn't happen. Ironically one interviewer said I was too nice. I wanted something that would challenge me. I wanted something art-related. I'd done the food thing, I'd done the retail thing. And despite how much I needed a new job, I wasn't willing to settle for something I'd already done. One afternoon, I checked the paper and saw an advertisement.

The ironic part is that I had seen the advertisement about a month earlier for the same job. Do I think this was some sort of divine intervention? Perhaps. But I am so excited for this job. Like every job, it has its downfalls. Rough days and such. But when it comes down to it. Even the most wretched days are better than the absolute best days. Ironically, there is less people, and far less drama. Everyone does their own stuff. They know all know their job/responsibilities. Its nice. The majority of times its even drama free.

Some of my artwork is in this post. I don't get to do nearly as much anymore as I work "banker's hours" and then also have a wedding to plan. But some day I will get back to my other love. Art is my favorite thing to calm down. Writing is another thing.

Anyway, the moral of the story, if you do what you love then its not work. Its just being compensated for your favorite hobby/pastime. The problem with professional sports players, is that they've lost they're pure untainted love of the game. All they seem to care about anymore is the paycheck. When a hobby becomes about the money, its no longer fun. Go with your personality, find your professional love!


1 comment: