Thursday, June 30, 2011

An Even Scale

So yesterday I posted on my Twitter as you can read to the left - "has learned that when it comes to my life, it all evens out. Who can complain when you even out? Like that episode of Seinfeld..." For those of you who've never seen it, I've seriously looked for a good twenty minutes to find that episode. I've checked everywhere, and can't find a free version to show you. At any rate, today my day was proof positive of that...
I woke up on time, my hair cooperated and was ready to leave early (so that I could go get gas in my car) went to put on my flip flop and was angry to find that my rebellious (and somewhat bitchy) cat had decided to pee on my favorite most comfortable (and therefore expensive) DC flip-flop. (1st even out) So I rinsed off the flip flop, leaving it on the counter. I instead wore another pair of flip flops which ironically matched better. So at work, during my lunch (to counteract the soda I have first thing) I walk on my lunch. These other flip-flops are clearly not meant for such an ordeal. I have three to six blisters on my feet. (2nd even out)

So then I get back from my lunch, gloat about how ahead I am on this new site that launches Saturday, only to find out that someone bought the wrong domain. So all the work I had done had to be redone because in the domain, and in the shopping cart application the name was mis-written. (3rd even out) So, after a quick changing of all six pages involved in that site (and a some 70 name changes) I was just finishing the advertisement for this product/site, and I was ready to move on. Now at my work we have a radio program that goes out every Friday morning, meaning I receive it on Thursdays and it MUST be ready to go by the time I leave on Thursday. Well, I was just getting ready to start this endeavor, (and silently gleeful my micro-managing supervisor was taking off early) when I found out that I had to rearrange some emails in a different office. (4th even out) We the first email I had to rearrange went off without a hitch (not bad for someone who hadn't done something similar since my first day), the second one, not so much. It was getting close to "quitting time" and alas, we could not get this one to cooperate. Turned out the previous owner had switched the password. So I managed to get that done, and walked out of that office at about two or three minutes after, into pitch black... luckily I was mildly aware of my surroundings and managed to find my way back. I got all of my stuff packed up, punched out and was well on my way home... when I remembered, I never shut down my own computer! (5th even out)
Finally, when I arrived home I walked into an expectant sink full of dishes, messy counters and three loads of laundry that needed done. (Mind you, I'm still stuck on load #2 in the washer) So, after completing the dishes and the counters, I remembered I needed to send my mother an email. I did. Then noticed one of my work's editors was online. I shot her a quick Skype message asking her to send the radio stuff to my personal email so I could get it done at home. (Thinking, I could tackle it quickly and get it into our software so it could go out on time) Well, after tracking down various passwords, and files necessary (my templates are all saved at work), I set to get to work. Unfortunately my Word application on my computer has long since expired, and being that I have Microsoft Works Word Processor application I thought nothing of it. But the radio files were saved in Word (and if you've ever tried to open a Word file in Microsoft Works, it doesn't always come out so pretty) so I had to type out all of the document by hand (increasing the time that Copy/Paste would have taken exponentially). (6th even out) Then to top it all off, as I typed the last sentence I just tried opening the files in Microsoft Works, well after the radio stuff is all up and scheduled to be sent, and guess what. It worked. Perfectly clean and legible. Oy vey, that's seven times karma/fate/whatever you.

Anyway, the point of this excessively long blog is that in my life, more often than not everything seems to even out. My parents divorce? Both ended up marrying someone who actually complemented them more, and I even got a few more siblings out of the deal. Up and quitting my first real job ever for another restaurant job? I met my best friend, roommate, boyfriend, fiance, and soon-to-be husband. My surrogate grandfather dying a week before my high school graduation? My surrogate grandmother telling me, "He figured out the best way to make it to both your commencements." (my cousin and I graduated on the same day, practically the same time, 20 minutes apart.) My ectopic pregnancy? My cousin was born during my "required" week off from work and I got to be one of the first people at the hospital with the grandparents. The anniversary of the day I'd found out I was pregnant? My sister had her baby shower. The anniversary of my emergency surgery? I skipped going out with coworkers (to opt in for moping at home) and instead got an invitation to wallow away my sorrows with booze with my best friend of ten years. My second miscarriage (this time no ectopic pregnancy, just surgery after 12 hours of the miscarrying going on)? A month later I landed my dream job, something I went to school for, and loved (and still do most days) doing.

So I'm not going to feed you that line about "Everything happens for a reason." Or tell you "Someday it will happen" because truth is it may not. I've just found that looking at the good is sometimes not the easiest in the present but down the road you could look back and think, "Gee I'm kinda glad that happened because I learned/got to experience this from it."  Live life, celebrate life, don't forget you are alive.

Promise. Don't believe me? Put your hand on your heart or on that spot on your neck/wrist where you can feel your pulse. Its there. (otherwise zombies are reading this, and that's kinda creepy)

2 comments:

  1. :) indeed zombies. I feel that this is a good one!!! you know you should put pictures up of your flip flops and your cat. :D it would be cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a song kinda like the moral of this blog, by Darius Rucker called 'This' I think you'd like it :)

    ReplyDelete